Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jakob's Poem

The boys have been trying to come up with some poems for the Annual Poetry Festival that they have each year at school. Jakob wanted to try to come up with one of his own and this is what he came up with. This is before making any edits to his poem.

I Love Fall!

You rake up leaves and then jump in them.
Watch the leaves glide like paper.
They change color like yellow, red, orange, brown, that's all.
I love fall!

He was so proud of how he used the word "glide." We've been working on using stronger verbs and adjectives in school and also using similes. This was his simile and his "stronger" verb. We talked a little bit about how poems can rhyme as well and so he made the last two lines rhyme. Not too bad for a 1st grader, I thought. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment