Blog Archive

Sunday, July 26, 2009

We Have Added to Our Flock

We now have two more cockatiels to add to our bird family. I went to pick up these lovely birds on Saturday from a family that just was not able to keep them anymore because their cat thought that they were food. I found out about these birds from a Yahoo group called Freecycle. It's so great! These birds came with a really fun cage and a cage to transport, plus food. Pretty Awesome, huh? The lady was super nice and she said she felt good about giving them to us. I thought that they would have been gone when I responded to her offer an hour later, but I guess it was just meant to be. They are called Tweeters and Peekaboo. We haven't decided if that will be the names that they keep or not. We know that Tweeters is a male and we think that Peekaboo is also. Peekaboo is the more friendly one, so you will see more pics of him with the kids. He likes the back of his head rubbed. He's definitely more fun, but they both are great.




Peekaboo left, Tweeters right

Apparently, we have also learned that parakeets will often try to take charge of the cockatiels when housed in close quarters such as a house. Charlie seems to be living up to that expectation. He will swoop at them and try to show he's in charge. He's like half their size, but cockatiels are supposed to be more laid back than parakeets. He's not tried to attack them, just swooped close to them. They don't seem to care much about him. The kids have already had so much fun with these birds. Charlie is the prettier bird, but the cockatiels are more fun to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment