Sunday, August 30, 2009
President Eyring's Visit
Guess what? Today we came into the chapel and I was called last minute to play the organ last night so we were actually on time to church, although just barely. And the second counselor in the Bishopric walked up to me and said, "Now don't be nervous and no pressure, but just look up on the stand there." Low and behold Pres. Eyring was sitting next to the Bishop. Holy Cow! That was a shocker! I got to sit right behind him and attempt to play the organ without being able to practice ahead of time. It was an incredible meeting! The theme was about service and charity. A polynesian brother sang the song "Oh, Lord, My Redeemer" with that pure polynesian vocal. Made me cry, the spirit was so strong! And then I have always loved Elder Eyring and his incredible testimony of the savior. He has such a tender heart and is always so sincere when he speaks, just love him. He always seems to speak straight to my heart. Anyway, he spoke of the great gifts the savior has given him. Not just his sacrifice for each of us, but also the testimony that he has been given of the savior. He also spoke of charity and the pure love of Christ and then referred to the many times he has witnessed this in members of the church through service given to one another both inside and outside of the church. It was truly amazing! Later, Bishop told us in the last combined meeting that he and Elder Eyring were touched by the service of a brother in our ward during the last hymn. While I was playing the last hymn, Elena was upset, because she wanted to come up to the podium with me and Ronny was holding Eli so he grabbed Elena with one arm and had Eli in the other and proceeded to leave the chapel with arms full, when a brother sitting behind us offered to take Eli for him. Simple, small thing, but a big deal. Bishop said that he and Elder Eyring were so touched by that act of service that they couldn't finish singing the last verse of the song. They knew that the message had been heard that day. Something else that a friend of mine brought to my attention as I was telling her this story was that if we are willing to sacrifice our time and talents for the Lord then he will bless us to be able to accomplish the things that he has asked us to do. Ronny has always said that it is a sacrifice for him when I have to play the organ. Because he has to wrestle with 5 kids alone. But, the Lord blessed us with the service of another to help him and me in the thing that I had been asked to do. One thing that keeps coming back to me over and over again is just that I have to learn to receive help from others. I have always been so independent and think that I should just do everything myself. Never ask for help. Guess it's high time I start realizing that the Lord put us here to help each other. Although most of the time I feel like I am the recipient of the kindness of others and wish that I could be more assistance to someone else. I am learning more and more to put my faith in the Lord and to seek for opportunities to be of service to others. What a special sabbath day we were able to be a part of! (sigh of contentment) :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I didn't know you had a blog until I clicked on your name. That was really cool at church, Even though he wasn't in our meeting we saw him in the hall!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how incredible that is!!! This is really amazing! What a wonderful experience for you and your family!!
ReplyDelete